Monday, December 25, 2017

The Christmas Experiment Hours 9-12: Experiment Failure

Viewing Thoughts: I'll be honest: I wanted this year to be awesome, I really did. I didn't really draw attention to it but this was the tenth year of the Experiment. The weeks leading up to it had been annoying. I didn't want to go back to PSVue since they had raised the price, Hulu had a problem with accessing their DVR, DirectTVNow has no DVR, and Sling is okay but nothing special. It's also expensive so I had maybe half a week to record shit.

The Experiment came about as a way for myself to cope with the fact that, for the first time, I was going to be spending Christmas alone. I wasn't going to be able to afford to take the train to Christmas because I didn't have vacation time yet at work.I needed to cope somehow and so I decided to go on a Nostalgia Bender. The years passing, I stuck with it because tradition. It was fun and it changed. Then I decided to make it 36 hours and I stuck with it. I scheduled stuff. It kind of started to become a chore.

Going into the year's, I kind of wanted to call it but then I figured, nah, I can do this. Then I started on the jigsaw puzzle. Maybe it's because I went with a 1500 piece puzzle but it just felt like a little too much. I had planned to watch It's A Wonderful Life, mainly as an excuse to play Overwatch with some friends. Then it hit me: I wanted to have fun. This was not fun. It's my day off from work, why do it if I just hate it?

Maybe I'll go back to basics next year. Maybe not. Maybe this has served it's purpose. Maybe my life needs a change. Who knows? I'll still watch some Christmas stuff tomorrow but I can do it at my own speed.

I'll still watch Christmas Vacation though before I pass out. Not all traditions need to end.

No comments: