Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Unsung Treasures: Smooth Criminal

I'm going to say something blasphemous: "Thriller" was not the late Michael Jackson's best music Video. "Thriller" may have defined the music video but it did not, by any stretch of the imagination, become the greatest at the same time. I will give that honor to the "Smooth Criminal" video from Jackson's 1988 film, Moonwalker.

For those of you that don't remember, Moonwalker was pretty much nothing but a really long collection of music videos, some of them coming off slightly like ego trips but I digress. It also may have featured the King of Pop becoming a transformer. Seriously, he turns into a car and, later, a giant robot. I cannot make this stuff up. Anyway, at one point after turning into a car, Michael goes into a night club and the most awesome thing ever happens: Something so awesome that I just have to show you the video. Well, I was going to link to it anyway but describing it will just lower the value of it's awesomeness all that much more.



Yeah, that. That is awesome. The lighting. The costumes. The dancing. Sure, zombies dancing is kinda cool but it's nothing compared to 30's gangsters dancing and Michael doesn't get out a tommy gun at any point in "Thriller". That alone makes "Smooth Criminal" the clear winner. If anyone has any arguments for otherwise, let me know.

No comments: