Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Top 100 Movie List (A Very Biased List): 82-80

82. One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
Directed by Clyde Geronimi, Hamilton Luske, and Wolfgang Reitherman
Staring the voices of Rod Taylor, Cate Bauer. and Betty Lou Gerson
Written by Bill Pleet from the novel by Dodie Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frf0d2lFlYE (Couldn't find a video of the trailer that allowed embedding)
One of my favorite Disney movies and just goes to prove that a good villain can make anything better. Cruella De Vil is probably one of the greatest villains of all time and that gives me a great idea I'll have to use later. Anyway, the movie has a lot going for it outside of just Cruella. For starters, there are times that you forget that the dogs are actually dogs simply because of the way that they interact with one another. Another thing is the music. It has some of the best music from the 50's, 60's Disney Era outside of another pick further down the list but I digress. Great movie and it has some awesome moments with a great villain as well.

21. Get Shorty (1996)
Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld
Written by Scott Frank from the novel by Elmore Lenonard
Starring John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Rene Russo, and Danny DeVito

There's just something about this movie. I'm not a big fan of the Gangster movie but I am a big fan of great dialogue so I'll cut this movie some slack. Besides, it has great acting and one of the best long-cons in a movie that I've seen in recent history.Travolta made good use of his Pulp Fiction career revival with this one where he plays a gangster trying to bust into the film producing business, a more legal form of crime. Special note should also go to Gene Hackman's producer character who tries to hard half the time.

80. Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
Directed by Frank Oz
Written by Howard Jones from his stage play
Music Composed by Howard Ashman
Staring Rick Morranis, Ellen Greene, and Vincent Gardenia
Oscar Nominations: 1 Oscar Wins: Best Visual Effects

Yes, I like weird movies. I get that. There's something about a musical about a giant green plant from space trying to take over the world that I think rocks. The music is some of the best from 1980's musical theater and Mean Green Mother has a habit of coming up on my iPod a lot for some weird reason. The acting is great and they can sing. Ellen Greene is one of those actresses that I've always liked despite something that makes me think I shouldn't. Her role here as an abused shop worker is one of her best. The same can be said for Rick Morranis, who I can't help but wonder whatever happened to. Seriously, when's the last time anyone has seen him in anything?

Next time: "There's a kiss at the end of the rainbow, More precious than a pot of gold." "Every day I look in the mirror and say 'What? You still here?'" "I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

No comments: