Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Top 100 Movie List (A Very Biased List): 91-89

First off, made a change so one of the hints yesterday no longer means anything. No biggie. Anyway, here we go.

91. Ghostbusters (1984)
Directed by Ivan Reitman
Written by Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd
Starring Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd, and Sigourney Weaver
Oscar Nominations: 2

One of the all time greatest comedies and best contributions to cinema from the eighties. I personally love Ghostbusters mainly because it's silly but it's also good science-fiction. I personally think the movie is helped by the fact that it is well-acted, has some great one-liners, and is also very intelligent at times. I dunno what it is about the movie that makes me think of it as being as awesome as it is. I would have to guess it's just that we don't get movies this good anymore that can scare you one moment and make you truly laugh the next. Plus, it has one of the few genuinely good sequels to ever come along.

90. Clue (1985)
Directed and written by Jonathon Lynn
Starring Tim Curry, Madeline Khan, Martin Null, and Michael McKean

I grew up with Clue and it's one of those rare movies I can watch and repeat every line. I know. I've done it. The writing is very sharp and it is one of those great send-ups of the closed circle mystery movie. The novel part is when you would go to see the movie in the trailer, you would end up watching one of the three endings at random. We're spoiled because the home video release includes all three and even tell you which one is the most likely but still, all could work with minimal plot holes. Once again, the one liners are the key here. They just work well between the ensemble cast and none of them seem particularly forced.

89. Carrie (1976)
Directed by Brian De Palma
Written by Lawrence D. Cohen from the novel by Stephen King
Starring Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Betty Buckley, and John Travolta
Oscar Nominations: 2

Carrie isn't just a movie about a telekinetic teenager who kills everyone at her high school prom. It's a movie about a girl becoming a woman, it's about a teenager who is physically abused by her mother, and it's about growing up. It just happens to involve mass murder as well, but oh well. The performances by Spacek and Laurie are some of the best I've ever seen in a horror movie, in particular Piper Laurie's but then again, she is one of my favorite actresses so who knows, I might be biased. It gets bonus points for inspiring the musical that came after that is infamous for a reason.

Next time: "If this is a crush, I don't think I could take it if the real thing ever happened." "It's all for you!" "Aw, it's a pity, really. I thought it was a good idea to have someone in the house who is actually sorry he's dead."

No comments: