Sunday, December 25, 2016

The Christmas Experiment 2016 Hours 17+18: A Very Geeky Christmas

Sure, geeky time.

Bob's Burgers: I'll be the first to say that I haven't watched a ton of this show. It's fun. This episode centers around the family getting a Christmas Tree at Christmas Eve. This turns into a repeat of the movie Duel. Sure, I can live with this considering the sheer amount of times that I've seen Groundhog Day get repeated, I'm cool with new and exciting homages. And it works. I might have to check out my Bob's Burgers.

Doctor Who: It's the first Holiday Special. It's... not great but it works for what it is. First off, you got a plot about aliens attacking Rose and Family, including a rapidly spinning Christmas Tree of Death. The other villains of the episode are barely threatening for that matter. The Doctor sits out for most of it which seems like a shame, especially when this is a New Doctor, his first major story.

I dunno. I mean, there were much worse Christmas Specials but this one just sticks out like a sore thumb because this is the only one that bucks the trend they all shared. The Doctor and a celebrity guest star engaging in some extra fantastical adventure. This one feels like just a longer episode and, since The Doctor is not yet established, it also has the awkward feeling of most regeneration stories thrown on it.

Still, I guess if you're going to introduce someone to Doctor Who, there are worse stories to use. It includes regeneration, it's something you can trick your parents into watching since it's Christmas. If they like what they see, awesome. Doctor Who is much more mainstream than it once was so they might enjoy it even.

Non-Viewing Thoughts: There is nothing more refreshing and clarifying than a hot shower.

Late Christmas Ideas: The time and energy to plan something to do with myself.

Notable Commercials: Adult Swim runs so really weird commercials. Just saying.


Tally
Mountain Dews Left: 6 Cans
Coca-Colas Left: 3 Cans
Kickstarts Left: 1 Can
Coffee Left: 1 Bottle
Pumpkin Pie Left: 5/6ths
Sanity Rating: (1 being traveling in a real time machine, 10 being expecting a hat labeled "Tim masheen" to work) : 6

No comments: