Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Christmas Experiment 2013 Hour 3: 90s Sitcom-a-rama

Let's sit down and watch the Christmas episodes of a couple of classic sitcoms. By the way, how annoying is it that the 90s are classic now?

Roseanne, "White Trash Christmas": First off, Dan Connor is a bit homophobic. It's also worth pointing out that this episode features the second Becky. I always kinda preferred the second Becky. Maybe it's the fact that she was later on Scrubs? I dunno. She's attractive for that matter as well.

Anyway, the main premise of the episode is that the Connor's are going for having the tackiest house on the street. I think they got it with Liberache standees, a neon Feliz Natividad sign, and other stuff. This is in addition to miles of lights and some truly ugly plastic figurines. In the long run, it's enough to blind everything in a 30 mile radius.

In the other plot, Darlene is living with her boyfriend in secret in Chicago. Her little brother finds out. Birth control jokes. Okay, it's a sitcom, don't expect anything deep. Roseanne was always good at the drama stuff. I think my favorite part of the entire episode is where John Goodman and Glenn Quinn have a heart to heart on the roof. It's mainly on being a good husband. Also, we get some stuff on making sacrifices and dignity as a woman. See, that's why I love this show. The drama is beautiful and it's still funny.

The Golden Girls, "Twas the Nightmare Before Christmas": Side story. Last year, me and some of my closest friends went to Florida for Springbreak. Roomie Matt 's family has a house that we got to use. Every afternoon, we would watch The Golden Girls together. It was awesome. I might add I'm the only gay one. I still wonder what's so appealing about this show to a bunch of 20-somethings. I mean, women in their golden years, some of them with very active love-lifes. Hell, these are our mothers and grandmothers. Maybe just knowing that they're human is the key to it all.

Anyway, the plot of the episode has the women being held hostage by a guy in a Santa Suit who wants to spend Christmas with people. It works out only for the flights they were taking home to get stalled by a storm. In the end, the girls realize that they're family and will have a great Christmas or something. Also, Snow pops up in Miami. Regardless, it' a wonderful episode.

Non-Viewing Thoughts: I wonder how many of the St. Olaf stories were Betty White improvising? Seriously, Betty White is a wonderful actress and funny to this day.

Late Christmas Ideas: A fake, plastic Christmas Tree. It's something that I've yet to do as a single guy. Sure, there was that year with the tree that never went away but still.

Notable Commercials: Windows isn't thrilled with the Chromebook. They're so concerned that they hired the people who do a Pawn Shop show to tell you why you shouldn't buy it.


I hate these AT&T commercials with the kids acting way too cute. I mean, really annoyingly cute. I know it's precocious and great but there's just something so... manufactured about them.

Tally:
Mountain Dews left: 12
Amps left: 2
Cups of Coffee Drunk: 1
Pumpkin Pie Left: Still There.
Sanity Rating: (1 being taking your kids to see Santa, 10 being seducing Santa):3

No comments: